7199 Administrative Support Assistant II, Finance (7199)
The Administrative Support Assistant serves as a staff member in the Fowler College of Business assigned to the Finance department support group. The incumbent will work under the general supervision of the department chair and the administrative support coordinator to provide a full range of clerical, secretarial and general support functions at varying levels of complexity for the department. The position requires phone and visitor contact with students, faculty and off-campus inquirers regarding curriculum. Service orientation and professional attitude regarding punctuality, individual responsibility, and attention to detail are a must.
The person holding this position is considered a `mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
For more information regarding the Finance Department, click here: https://business.sdsu.edu/finance
This is a full-time (1.0 time-base), benefits eligible, permanent (probationary) position. This position is designated non-exempt under FLSA and is eligible for overtime compensation. Standard SDSU work hours are Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., but may vary based on operational needs.
Education and Experience
Entry to this classification requires fundamental written and oral communication skills, including a sound foundation in English grammar, spelling, and punctuation; an ability to understand standard office procedures; an ability to operate standard office equipment; an ability to learn office technology systems; an ability to perform basic mathematical calculations; and typing and keyboard skills.
These entry qualifications would normally be obtained through completion of a high school program or its equivalent and some experience in an office environment.
Preferred Qualifications and Specialized Skills
• Experience with the operation of computers with at least two years of experience in various software including word processing, spreadsheets and data bases.
• Three years of experience using Microsoft Windows.
• Knowledge and willingness to learn other software and scanner is desirable.
• Excellent oral communication and telephone skills
• Familiarity with effective office practices/procedures
• Strong typing skills and clear understanding of business communication formats
• Thorough knowledge of word processing software on PC compatible computer (knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite necessary)
• Ability to interpret and carry out instructions
• Ability to learn assigned tasks quickly with a minimal amount of supervision, as well as ability to perform tasks accurately and professionally
• Ability to work effectively under pressure and with constant interruptions
• Ability to work with faculty, staff, students, and the public
• Ability to type at a minimum corrected speed of 45 words per minute, clearly interpret a variety of complex procedural and policy applications; perform complex clerical work involving independent judgment, accuracy, and speed; independently draft and prepare clear and concise memorandums and correspondence; keep moderately complex records and files and operate word processing systems; thorough knowledge of correct English grammar, spelling, punctuation, office methods, procedures and practices. The ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others, to communicate well with faculty, students, staff and public.
• Experience working in an academic setting and five years of office work experience are desired.
Compensation and Benefits
Starting salary upon appointment not expected to exceed $2,786 per month. CSU Classification Salary Range: $2,600 - $4,592 per month. Salary placement is determined by the education, experience, and qualifications the candidate brings to the position, internal equity, and the hiring department's fiscal resources.
San Diego State University offers a rich benefits package that constitutes a major portion of total compensation. For more information regarding SDSU benefits, please click here: https://bfa.sdsu.edu/hr/jobs/benefits
Initial review of the required application materials, including cover letters and resumes, will begin on February 24, 2020. To receive full consideration, apply by February 23, 2020. The position will remain open until filled.
The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
San Diego State University is not a sponsoring agency for staff or management positions (e.g., H-1B visa). Applicants must currently be authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis. Offers of employment are contingent upon the presentation of documents that demonstrate a person's identity and authorization to work in the United States, which are consistent with the provisions of the Immigration Reform and Control Act.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
SDSU is a smoke-free campus. For more information, please click here: https://smokefree.sdsu.edu/
SDSU is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, marital status, age, disability, pregnancy, medical condition, or covered veteran status.
Applicants with disabilities and applicants who require assistance completing an application may contact Meracle Cothron at 619-594-1139.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled