Accountant I/II (Accounting & Revenue Management) – Department of Finance
The Finance Department mission is to manage, protect and report on the City of San José's financial resources to enhance the City's financial condition for residents, businesses, and investors. The Finance Department has five divisions:
• Debt & Treasury Management
• Purchasing & Risk Management
• Revenue Management
The Finance Department works in partnership with the departments of Human Resources, Information Technology, and Public Works as the City's Strategic Support City Service Area to effectively develop, manage, and safeguard City fiscal, physical, technological, and human resources to enable and enhance the delivery of City services and projects. The Finance Department has a $24.2 million operating budget and 134 budgeted full-time equivalent (FTE) positions.
The mission of the Finance Department is to strategically manage the City of San José's financial resources for all stakeholders.
The Finance Department strives to be a valued partner and trusted advisor for the City of San José, and a great place to work for current and future employees.
We are currently seeking two (2) Accountants, one (1) Overstrength Accountant and one (1) full-time Accountant. We are seeking accountants who are team players, have the ability to build and forge relationships, have strong accounting skills, pay attention to detail, follow directions well, adapt swiftly to change, strive for excellence, take initiative, are self-motivated, have a learning mindset, possess a can-do attitude, and take pride and ownership of their work.
The Accountant positions are flexibly staffed positions and may be filled at either the Accountant I, or Accountant II level. The positions flex class will be based on the years of relevant accounting experience, knowledge, and aptitude of the candidate. The essential duties of each position include:
The full-time Accountant position is in the Revenue Management Division's Utility Billing unit and will primarily be responsible for the following:
- Manage and process weekly utility billing control files.
- Coordinate with third party services on bill print and payment services .
- A pply late payment charges , send out notices.
- Responsible for water shutoff notices , create shutoff lists for ESD/Call Center .
- Review r efunds, create vendors in FMS, prepare edit lists , and process monthly reconciliation.
- Complete year-end and month-end close , year-end accruals and assist with audit requests, as needed.
- Perform annual garbage charge tax roll.
- Other accountant duties, as needed.
The overstrength Accountant position is in the Accounting Division's Accounts Payable unit and will primarily be responsible for testing a system upgrade on the following key maintenance and enhancements for:
- Multi-Level Approval (MLA) defines and manages approval hierarchies for financial transactions and includes integrated email notification. It is proposed for accounts payable invoices, purchase requisitions and purchase orders, and general ledger journal voucher entries.? ?
- Assist with 1099-NEC (Non-Employee Compensation) F orm changes and exception report enhancements. ?
- Assist with 1099-M ISC F orm changes and enhancements.
- Enhanced API (Application Programming Interface) integration capabilities to improve data synchronization between FMS and subsidiary systems. ?
- Perform test cases for FMS Version 9.1 upgrade .
- Assist with development and testing of the Travel Reimbursement workflow in SimpliGov .
- Assist with FMS patches testing and deployment into production .
- Work directly with Senior Accountant on variou s AP Initiatives and p roject s .
O verstrength Information : This is a temporary (Overstrength) position that is anticipated to be funded through June 30, 2024, subject to further extension as appropriate. If this position is not extended through the budget process, the City may seek to place you in other internal job opportunities based on your previous work experience.
Accountant I $84,630.00 - $102,931.92 Annually
Accountant II $92,383.20 - $112,279.44 Annually
Actual salary shall be determined by the final candidates' qualifications and experience. The salaries above include an approximate five percent (5%) ongoing non-pensionable compensation pay.
(These qualifications are typically required. An equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to satisfactorily perform the duties of the job may be substituted.)
Education and Experience
Completion of a Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university in Business, Accounting or related field, which must include twelve (12) semester units in accounting subjects.
Completion of a Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university in Business, Accounting or related field, which must include eighteen (18) semester units in accounting subjects AND two (2) years of progressively responsible accounting or auditing experience.
Experience in the maintenance of financial records, systems or transactions may be substituted for the education requirement on a year-for-year basis. There will be no substitution for the twelve (12) semester units in accounting subjects.
(Incumbents may be required to have different combinations of the listed qualifications, or more specific job-related qualifications depending on the position.)
(Needed at entry into the job in order to perform the essential duties.)
- Job Expertise - Demonstrates knowledge of and experience with applicable professional/technical principles and practices, Citywide and departmental procedures/policies and federal and state rules and regulations.
- Communication Skills - Effectively conveys information and expresses thoughts and facts clearly, orally and in writing; demonstrates effective use of listening skills; displays openness to other people's ideas and thoughts .
- Computer Skills - Experienced with common business computer applications including but not limited to: MS Outlook, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, MS Access, and MS Excel.
- Teamwork & Interpersonal Skills - Develops effective relationships with co-workers and supervisors by helping others accomplish tasks and using collaboration and conflict resolution skills.
- Analytical Thinking - Approaches a problem or situation by using a logical, systematic, sequential approach.
- Flexibility - Makes effective decisions and achieves desired results in the midst of major changes in responsibilities, work processes, timeframes, performance expectations, organizational culture.
- Problem Solving - Approaches a situation or problem by defining the problem or issue; determines the significance of problem; collects information; uses logic and intuition to arrive at decisions or solutions to problems that achieve the desired outcome.
- Reliability - Completes quality work assignments in a timely and efficient manner; fulfills responsibilities and maintains confidentiality as appropriate.
- Technology Use/Management - Uses efficient and cost-effective approaches to integrate technology into the workplace and improve program effectiveness.
The selection process will consist of an evaluation of the applicant's training and experience based on the application and responses to all the job specific questions. You must answer all questions to be considered or your application may be deemed incomplete and withheld from further consideration. Only those candidates whose backgrounds best match the position will be invited to proceed in the selection process. Additional phases of the selection process will consist of one or more interviews .
Interviews will be scheduled for 12/1/202 3 and you will receive a notification of your status by close of business on 11/27/2023.
If you have questions about the duties of these positions, the selection or hiring processes, please contact Michelle Harrison at email@example.com .