Accounting Services Technician II – Department of Finance
About Our Job
The City and County of Denver utilizes a hybrid model workplace that balances the responsibilities of public service with the benefits of a flexible work environment. Employees work where needed,at a city site and/or in the field several days a week and telecommute remotely at a designated workplace within the State of Colorado the remaining days.
This posting will accept applications until November 20th. Please apply as soon as possible.
About the Department of Finance
The Department of Finance manages the city's investing, fiscal analysis, budgeting, debt and asset management, tax assessment and collection, and accounting functions as well as establishing, maintaining and enforcing fiscal policies, practices and procedures for the entire City and County of Denver. The Department commits to Denver residents the delivery of these services through a financial structure that mirrors the best practices of both the public and private sectors. This commitment promotes better service, enhanced performance measures, maximum accountability and improved business processes.
About the Controller's Office
The Office of the Controller keeps the City's ledgers and books, manages payroll and accounts payable; establishes and enforces Citywide financial policies, procedures and internal controls; produces the financial reports including the annually audited financial statements of the City; and works with agencies to improve financial skills. The Controller's Office is a dynamic environment that seeks innovative ideas that promote effective, efficient, and accountable government while maintaining the highest level of integrity.
Diversity in the City
The City and County of Denver is committed to cultivating a culture of equity, diversity, and inclusion. This commitment is woven into our values and belief that we are strongest when we embrace and celebrate our differences. We aim to have employees who are as diverse as our residents, with different perspectives and unique ways of thinking. If you share these values and our enthusiasm for equity, we encourage you to apply to join our team.
As an Accounting Services Technician II, you will provide financial management services to multiple City agencies. The services provided include financial record keeping, procurement/payables support, and processing financial transactions. The work will be fluid, dynamic, and require the highest level of customer service to our internal clients.
Our team values innovative individuals with a strong commitment toward public service. We are looking for candidates who possess exceptional customer service skills, effective knowledge of business processes and the ability to thrive in a team environment.
Additionally, you can expect to:
- Perform specialized clerical and technical level accounting activities requiring a detailed knowledge within Financial Services, which includes recordkeeping and reporting in support of accounts receivable, accounts payable, and procurement
- Reconciles account balances, ledgers, and supplier statements. Performs analysis to identify problems with reconciliation and makes corrections
- Prepares reports that define financial information used internally by other City agencies and other governmental organizations. Researches variances to determine possible causes and recommends corrective actions
- Support client agency's budget process by helping with budget errors and match exceptions to ensure Agency payables are executed as effectively and efficiently as possible
- Assist with the accounting processes of client agency duties including the completion of the monthly production board checklists, monthly reconciliations, general ledger journals and the completion of the annual inventory
- Support client agencies in the procurement and payment for goods and services
- Help the team find ways to improve the organization of the workplace, reduce waste, increase safety and quality, enable continuous improvement and make problems more visible to be able to create solutions
- Ensure client agencies and suppliers receive excellent customer service
- Develop and maintain positive relationships, based on trust and collaboration, with agency personnel
- Perform other duties as assigned or requested
We are looking for someone with some or all the following skills and experience:
- Accounts Payable experience
- Basic bookkeeping experience
We realize your time is valuable so please do not apply if you do not have at least the following required minimum qualifications:
- Education requirement: Graduation from high school or the possession of a GED, HiSET or TASC Certificate.
- Experience Requirement: Three (3) years of experience performing financial recordkeeping, reconciliation of accounting discrepancies, and making journal and ledger entries.
- Education/Experience Equivalency: Additional appropriate education may be substituted for the minimum experience requirements.
About Everything Else
CV2359 Accounting Technician II
To view the full job profile including position specifications, physical demands, and probationary period, click here .
Position Salary Range
$19.31 - $28.97
Based on education and experience
Department of Finance
The City and County of Denver provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, or any other status protected under federal, state, and/or local law.
For information about right to work, click here for English or here for Spanish.