ASSISTANT DIRECTOR – FINANCE (EXE LEV)
APPLICATIONS ACCEPTED FROM: CURRENT HOUSTON AIRPORT SYSTEM EMPLOYEES ONLY
JOB CLASSIFICATION: ASSISTANT DIRECTOR (EXE LEV)
REPORTING LOCATION: 16930 JOHN F. KENNEDY BLVD.
WORKDAYS & HOURS: MONDAY - FRIDAY 8AM - 5PM*
*Subject to change
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES/ ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
Assist the Chief Financial Officer in the delivery of financial reporting and analysis to help non-finance executive management understand the implications of changes in the organization's business model, changes in the Capital Improvement Plan, and other changes affecting the financial status of the organization. This position acts as Division Controller for Deputy Directors of other divisions within HAS, specifically Terminal Management, Operations, and Infrastructure, helping develop business cases, compiling budgets and forecasts, and reporting as necessary to the Chief Financial Officer. This role is also a key contributor in the delivery of financial insights associated with key performance indicators of the Houston Airport System. The position will also develop and help other divisions complete business case analyses for cost-saving and return on investment initiatives. This role will also manage Fixed Assets and Grants. Finally, this role will be responsible for the expeditious delivery of any ad-hoc analysis requested by the Chief Financial Officer.
The Assistant Director will be responsible for the following:
- Assist Deputy Directors with capital and operating budget compilation.
- Deliver routine reports on Houston Airport System Key Performance Indicators (KPI's) with key insights on trends affecting organizational performance.
- Develop and report a 12-month rolling forecast for each Deputy Director; highlight trends and identify opportunities for cost savings across the organization.
- Deliver quarterly rates and charges reports to the Chief Financial Officer; coordinate a review with the Financial Planning and Analysis team to assess significant variances to budget and ensure proper charges in line with actual expenses.
- Create high-level dashboards and other reports to quickly advise HAS management of its financial position.
- Communicate abnormal financial performance trends as necessary to assist in managerial decision making.
- Perform ad-hoc scenario planning, reporting on key assumptions and variables to assist executive management in planning and decision-making.
There are no major sources of discomfort, i.e., essentially normal office environment with acceptable lighting, temperature and air conditions.
Requires a Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Public Administration or a closely related field.
Seven years of administrative experience are required, with at least three of those years in a managerial capacity.
A Master's degree may be substituted for two years of experience.
Valid driver's license and compliance with the City of Houston driving policy (A.P. 2-2).
Preference will be given to applicants with:
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel and other financial reporting tools (e.g., Hyperion, Tableau, Power BI, SAP BPC, etc.).
- Advanced financial modeling skills and experience managing large data sets.
- Finance certifications and/or designations (i.e., Certified Public Accountant, Certified Management Accountant, Chartered Financial Analyst, etc.)
**Preference shall be given to eligible veteran applicants provided such persons possess the qualifications necessary for competent discharge of the duties involved in the position applied for, such persons are among the most qualified candidates for the position, and all other factors in accordance with Executive Order 1-6.**
SELECTION / SKILLS TESTS REQUIRED
Department may administer skills assessment test.
SAFETY IMPACT POSITION Yes
If yes, this position is subject to random drug testing and if a promotional position, candidate must pass an assignment drug test.
Factors used in determining the salary offered include the candidate's qualifications as well as the pay rates of other employees in this classification.
PAY GRADE 32
Only online applications will be accepted for this City of Houston job and must be received by the Human Resources Department during active posting period. Applications must be submitted online at: www.houstontx.gov .
To view your detailed application status, please log-in to your online profile by visiting: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/houston/default.cfm or call (832/393-0453).
If you need special services or accommodations, call (832/393-0453). (TTY 7-1-1)
If you need login assistance or technical support call 855-524-5627.
Due to the high volume of applications received, the Hiring Department will contact you directly, should you be selected to advance in our recruitment process.
All new and rehires must pass a pre-employment drug test and are subject to a physical examination and verification of information provided.
EOE Equal Opportunity Employer
The City of Houston is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual's sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.
Closing Date/Time: 11/23/2023 11:59 PM Central