Assistant Professor in Corporate Finance (531849)
Department of Finance
College of Business and Economics
The Department of Finance at California State University, Fullerton, invites applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professor position in Corporate Finance with an appointment to begin in Fall 2024.
California State University, Fullerton (CSUF) is a minority-serving institution, affirmative action, and equal opportunity employer. CSUF is firmly committed to increasing the diversity of the campus community and the curriculum and fostering an inclusive environment within which students, staff, administrators, and faculty thrive. Candidates who can contribute to this goal through their teaching, research, advising, and other activities are encouraged to identify their strengths and experiences. Individuals advancing the University's strategic diversity goals and those from groups whose underrepresentation in the American professoriate has been severe and longstanding are particularly encouraged to apply.
CSUF is committed to retaining all faculty and has established affinity groups you can join to support your success.
The Department is interested in Corporate Finance candidates with strong teaching and research potential. The successful applicant is expected to publish in high-quality journals, teach undergraduate and graduate courses, advise students, interact with a diverse student body, serve on committees, and engage in activities that benefit the department, University, and community. Positive tenure and promotion decisions require excellent teaching, strong scholarly and creative activities that result in the publication of high-quality refereed journal articles, and substantial services as defined by the department policy.
- A doctorate in Finance or a related field from an accredited institution - ABDs may apply with evidence that the degree will be completed by the appointment date.
- Evidence of (or potential for) publications in high-quality journals.
- Evidence of excellent teaching potential.
- Demonstrated potential for effective integration of technology into instruction.
- Ability to work effectively with a culturally diverse range of students, faculty, staff, and external audiences.
- Business experience in a corporate finance environment
- CFA designation/affiliation
A complete online application must be received by electronic submission to be considered. To apply, please visit http://hr.fullerton.edu/careers/Faculty.php , choose full-time faculty, search for position #531849, and provide the following required materials:
- Cover letter in which you respond to the required qualifications.
- Curriculum vitae
- Research statement
- Teaching statement
- Transcripts from highest degree earned (Unofficial transcripts to be accepted during the application process. Official transcripts required upon start of appointment if selected)
- Sample publication(s) and/or working paper(s), submitted as a single PDF.
- Candidate Statement on Commitment to Inclusive Excellence
- This statement provides the candidate's unique perspective on their past and present contributions to and future aspirations for promoting diversity, inclusion, and social justice in their professional careers. This statement aims to help the department identify candidates with professional experience, intellectual commitments, and/or willingness to engage in activities that could help CSUF contribute to its mission in these areas. The statement shall address one or more of the following criteria:
- The candidate has acquired knowledge of barriers for underrepresented students and faculty in higher education.
- The candidate has experience in and is committed to serving underrepresented populations in higher education.
- The candidate has experience in and is committed to teaching and/or mentoring underrepresented students in a higher education environment.
- The candidate has experience integrating underrepresented populations and communities into scholarly and creative activities.
- A list of three references with relevant contact information
- Semi-finalists must submit three letters of recommendation. Please have these ready for the referents to submit. On the References page of the online application, enter information and email addresses for three referents who will provide a confidential letter of reference for your application. At the appropriate time in the search process, they will receive a request via email along with information on uploading the letter. You can verify that CSUF has received each letter by logging back into your applicant portal.
Finalists will be asked to have each of their three referents submit a letter of recommendation. Please have these ready for the referents to offer should you proceed to this search phase.
Please direct all questions about the position to Dr. Weili Lu, Department Chair, Department of Finance, at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (657) 278-2217.
To be assured full consideration, all application materials must be received by October 7, 2023. The anticipated appointment date is August 2024.
The College and Department
College of Business & Economics is accredited by The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) at undergraduate and master's levels. There are about 300 faculty members and close to 9,000 students, including more than 600 graduate students. Bachelor's degrees are offered in Business Administration with concentrations in Accounting, Economics, Entrepreneurship, Entertainment & Tourism, Finance, Management (Operations, General, and Human Resources), Information Systems/Decision Sciences, Marketing, and International Business, among others. Master's degrees are in Business Administration, Economics, Management Science, Information Technology, Accounting, and Taxation. For more information about the College, visit: http://business.fullerton.edu/
The Finance department is committed to diversity and fostering an inclusive environment where students, staff, administrators, and faculty thrive. The two largest groups of our currently enrolled students are Latinx/Hispanic and Asian. Of our current faculty members, 18 are tenured and tenure-track faculty supplemented by multiple part-time and full-time adjunct faculty members. Tenure-track faculty members have published their research in journals such as the Journal of Finance, Journal of Financial Economics, Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Journal of Corporate Finance, Review of Finance, Financial Management, Journal of Banking and Finance, European Financial Management, Real Estate Economics, and Journal of Risk and Insurance, among others. The department houses three active centers of excellence - Center for Real Estate, Titan Capital Management, and School of Risk Management and Insurance. These entities raise funds for extra-curricular student activities and provide opportunities for interaction with the local business community. For more information about the department, please visit: http://business.fullerton.edu/Department/Finance
Multiple positions may be hired from this recruitment based on the strength of the applicant pool.
The Assistant Professor (Academic Year) classification salary range is $5,405 to $11,994 monthly (12 monthly payments per academic year). The anticipated hiring range is $11,141 to $11,373 per month.
Salary offered is commensurate with experience and qualifications. In addition, the California Equal Pay Act prohibits employers from paying its employees less than those of the opposite sex and/or another race or ethnicity for substantially similar work ( https://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/california_equal_pay_act.htm ).
Summer research grants, moving expenses, start-up funds, and a reduced teaching load may be available.
An excellent comprehensive benefit package includes health/vision/dental plans; spouse, domestic partner, and dependent fee-waiver; access to campus child-care; and a defined-benefit retirement through the state system and optional tax sheltering opportunities. For a detailed description of benefits, please visit https://hr.fullerton.edu/total-wellness/ .
The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and must comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083, revised July 21, 2017, as a condition of employment.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be formally offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or the continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose.
Notice of Non-Discrimination based on Gender or Sex and Contact Information for Title IX Coordinator ( http://www.fullerton.edu/titleix/about/notice.php ).
In accordance with the California State University (CSU) Out-of-State Employment Policy, the CSU is a state entity whose business operations reside within the State of California. It requires hiring employees to perform CSU-related work within the State of California.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled