Associate Accountant – Department of Finance
About Our Job
Employment Requirement: City employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. All persons offered a position will be required to provide valid proof of vaccination prior to starting employment. Refer to the COVID-19 Employee Vaccination Mandate Candidate Q&A for additional information.
This posting will accept applications until October 17th. Please apply as soon as possible.
About the Department of Finance
The Department of Finance manages the city's investing, fiscal analysis, budgeting, debt and asset management, tax assessment and collection, and accounting functions as well as establishing, maintaining and enforcing fiscal policies, practices and procedures for the entire City and County of Denver. The Department commits to Denver residents the delivery of these services through a financial structure that mirrors the best practices of both the public and private sectors. This commitment promotes better service, enhanced performance measures, maximum accountability and improved business processes.
About the Controller's Office
The Office of the Controller keeps the City's ledgers and books, manages payroll and accounts payable; establishes and enforces Citywide financial policies, procedures and internal controls; produces the financial reports including the annually audited financial statements of the City; and works with agencies to improve financial skills. The Controller's Office is a dynamic environment that seeks innovative ideas that promote effective, efficient, and accountable government while maintaining the highest level of integrity.
Diversity in the City
The City and County of Denver is committed to cultivating a culture of equity, diversity, and inclusion. This commitment is woven into our values and belief that we are strongest when we embrace and celebrate our differences. We aim to have employees who are as diverse as our residents, with different perspectives and unique ways of thinking. If you share these values and our enthusiasm for equity, we encourage you to apply to join our team.
As an Associate Accountant, you will provide financial management services to multiple City agencies. The services provided include financial record keeping, procurement/payables support, and processing financial transactions. The work will be fluid, dynamic, and require the highest level of customer service to our internal clients. Our team values innovative individuals with a strong commitment toward public service. We are looking for candidates who possess exceptional customer service skills, effective knowledge of business processes and the ability to thrive in a team environment.
Additionally, as an Associate Accountant, you can expect to:
- Assist with your client agency's fiscal budget activities, including budget development entry, budget journals, and budget research activities.
- Oversee the client agency's accounting activities.
- Aide in the review of financial, cost or general ledger to identify accounting data problems, errors in coding or trends in revenues/expenditures and assist in the implementation of corrective action.
- Support your agencies with the process to procure and pay for goods and services.
- Review and analyze grant processes for client groups, process reimbursements of grant funds, monitor expenditures and invoices, compiles supporting documentation, ensures compliance with grant provisions, terms, and rates, and enters financial transactions into financial systems.
- Self-directed learning of all City Fiscal Rules and applicable legal guidelines to advise agencies on remaining compliant throughout operations.
- Utilize basic financial concepts to assist various City agencies with their fiscal needs. Innovate and improve upon existing City accounting and financial processes in an effort to create an efficient and effective workflow.
- Perform other related duties as assigned or requested.
We are looking for someone with some or all of the following skills and experience:
- Passion and dedication to ensuring the highest level of customer service to our Denver residents in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated customer service experience
- Experience providing office support for federal, state, or local government
- Capacity to multi-task and handle competing priorities
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Capability to work without supervision and under pressure
- Ability to work well in teams and independently
We realize your time is valuable so please do not apply if you do not have at least the following required minimum qualifications:
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Finance, or Business Administration.
- One (1) year of professional level accounting experience reconciling accounting discrepancies, analyzing expenditures, and preparing financial reports.
- Education/Experience Equivalency: No substitution of experience for education is permitted.
- Additional appropriate education may be substituted for experience requirements
About Everything Else
CV2461 Accountant Associate
To view the full job profile including position specifications, physical demands, and probationary period, click here.
Position Salary Range
$56,725.00 - $93,597.00
Based on education and experience
Department of Finance
The City and County of Denver provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, or any other status protected under federal, state, and/or local law.