Associate Accountant- Department of Finance
About Our Job
Please apply as soon as you are able as we will close this position as soon as we receive a sufficient number of qualified candidates.
The Office of the Controller keeps the City's ledgers and books, manages payroll and accounts payable; establishes and enforces Citywide financial policies, procedures and internal controls; produces the financial reports including the annually audited financial statements of the City; and works with agencies to improve financial skills. The Controller's Office is a dynamic environment that seeks innovative ideas that promote effective, efficient, and accountable government while maintaining the highest level of integrity.
As an Associate Accountant, you will provide financial management services to multiple City agencies. The services provided include financial record keeping, procurement/payables support, and processing financial transactions. The work will be fluid, dynamic, and require the highest level of customer service to our internal clients. Our team values innovative individuals with a strong commitment toward public service. We are looking for candidates who possess exceptional customer service skills, effective knowledge of business processes and the ability to thrive in a team environment.
Additionally, as an Associate Accountant, you can expect to:
- Assist with client agency's fiscal budget activities, including budget development entry, budget journals, and budget research activities.
- Oversee the client agency's accounting activities.
- Assist with the review of financial, cost or general ledger to identify accounting data problems, errors in coding or trends in revenues/expenditures and assist in the implementation of corrective action. Assist agencies with the process to procure and pay for goods and services.
- Review and analyze grant processes for client groups, process reimbursements of grant funds, monitor expenditures and invoices, compiles supporting documentation, ensures compliance with grant provisions, terms, and rates, and enters financial transactions into financial systems.
- Self-directed learning of all City Fiscal Rules and applicable legal guidelines in order to advise agencies on remaining compliant throughout operations.
- Utilize basic financial concepts to assist various City agencies with their fiscal needs.
- Innovate and improve upon existing City accounting and financial processes in an effort to create an efficient and effective workflow.
- Perform other related duties as assigned or requested.
Our Ideal Candidate has:
- Planning and organizational abilities
- Customer Service
- Ability to multitask
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- The capacity to work without supervision and under pressure
- The ability to work well in teams and independently
We recognize your time is valuable, so please do not apply unless you meet the following required minimum qualifications:
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Finance, or Business Administration.
- One (1) year of professional level accounting experience reconciling accounting discrepancies, analyzing expenditures, and preparing financial reports.
No substitution of experience for education is permitted.
About Everything Else
CV2461 Accountant Associate
To view the full job profile including position specifications, physical demands, and probationary period, click here.
Position Salary Range
$56,083.00 - $89,733.00
Hiring range is $56,000 - $60,000, depending upon experience and education.
Department of Finance
The City and County of Denver provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, or any other status protected under federal, state, and/or local law.