AVP, Business and Finance (505597)
California State University, Dominguez Hills has retained ANOTHER SOURCE AGENCY to manage the search for the AVP, Business, and Finance. For detailed information, to apply, or to nominate a candidate, please visit:
This is a full-time management (MPP) position. MPP employees serve at the pleasure of the campus President. MPPs do not serve a probationary period and never receive permanent status.
This position is a "designated position" in the California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. The successful candidate accepting this position is required to file Conflict of Interest forms subject to the regulations of the Fair Political Practices Commission.
Conditions of Employment
Possession of a valid Driver's License is required. Employees in this position will be enrolled in the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) Government Employer Pull Notice Program which confirms possession of a valid driver's license and reflects driving record.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. CSU will make a conditional offer of employment, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
The person holding this position is considered a `mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Application Deadline & Salary Information
Review of applications will begin 10/30/2021, and the position will remain Open Until Filled.
Salary is commensurate with experience.
Under the administrative direction of the Vice President of Administration and Finance, the Associate Vice President is part of the senior leadership team for the division and provides strategic guidance on policy and procedures. The position is responsible for the integrity of all financial systems and processes relating to the business activities of the university. Collaborates with department leaders on fiscal activities and status in order to appraise the AVP. The Associate Vice President provides leadership and support to Accounting Services, the Budget Office, and Procurement and Contracts.
Required Education and Experience:
Equivalent to graduation from an accredited institution with a Master's degree in business, finance, accounting, or related field and 8 years of progressively responsible professional experience in managing financial functions.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Extensive understanding of generally accepted accounting principles and auditing standards, as well as financial reporting under FASB and GASB requirements
- Knowledge of and experience working with a comprehensive financial database system.
- Experience with Oracle/PeopleSoft preferred.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent human and public relations skills and organizational skills.
- Ability to develop and lead a collaborative team, and establish an effective, efficient Financial Services operation within a large, complex organization.
- Lead diverse teams to support the operational mission and vision of employers by fostering an ethical, inclusive and collegial work environment.
- Demonstrated ability to support ongoing improvement through courageous, resilient, and catalytic leadership.
- Lead varying initiatives through a collaborative, service-oriented and communicative approach.
- Demonstrated commitment to employee development, recognition, and accountability to further operational goals.
- Effectively lead and manage high performance teams.
Certification: Valid Driver License
45% Accounting Services, the Budget Office, and Procurement and Contracts.
- Leads and directs the work of other employees and has responsibility for personnel actions including hiring, performance management, and termination.
- Administers recurring or daily functions or processes necessary for business execution and identifies opportunities for improvement or efficiencies. - Establishing, implementing, and administering accounting policies for the organization
- Oversees the day-to-day operational and management responsibilities of financial systems and business activities
- Monitors changes to the regulatory environment and evaluates the impact to the organization.
- Designs and implements new accounting methods, policies, and procedures in response to regulatory changes
- Modifies and implements standards and procedures to govern the internal operations of the assigned business management functions;
- Expand supplier management strategies, emphasizing achievement of sustainability and accessibility goals
- Responsible for coordination and preparation of university year-end financial statements and related audits in accordance with GAAP, GASB, and CSU policies (e.g. ICSUAM, Executive Orders, Audit Guidelines, etc.)
- Foster an environment of employee achievement and development which support, and empower staff to embrace the broader mission and strategic plan for the campus
- Leads and directs the work of other employees and has responsibility for personnel actions including hiring, performance management, and termination. Supervision is often provided through managers and/or directors.
- Develops policies, practices, and procedures that have a significant impact on the organization.
40% Principal financial advisor to the Vice President
- Develops and implements strategies meant to assist the division in meeting its critical goals and objectives in the most efficient manner possible
- Establishes internal controls for monitoring assets, capital investments, controlling costs, and measuring liquidity
- Administers departmental policies and procedures, evaluates results and performance, and assists with the development of new or modified budgets, strategic plans, or policies;
- Establishes and implements accounting procedures, coordinates financial policies and is responsible for the direction of the Accounting Department.
- Engages with the monthly, quarterly, and annual accounting close processes. Prepares financial statements and filings in compliance with GAAP. Participates in ad hoc analyses of the organization's finances and prepares reports to facilitate decision making. Provides oversight and coordination of operating reports and statutory filings, establishes and maintains financial controls.
- Designs accounting and reporting systems. Ensures preparation of the institution's Tax Return and Financial Report.
- Organizes fiscal plans with other major operating areas of the campus, including auxiliaries;
- Participates in the development and review of university policies related to campus business practices
- Collaborates with other members of the executive management team to align departmental strategy or direction with the overall goals of the organization
- Provide solutions to the campus community including streamlined procedures for payment processing; reducing or avoiding costs through strategic sourcing and supplier management; and ensuring daily operations support the university's mission and goals;
- Serves as liaison and resource to other campus administrators (including auxiliary organizations and enterprise operations) regarding financial and managerial accountability, compliance with applicable regulations, and consistent financial practices;
- Maximize cost savings and revenue through risk assessments; improve campus engagement strategies to capitalize on consolidated opportunities;
- Lead negotiations for high dollar, complex, and non-routine contracts, to include revenue-generating contracts involving strategic corporate partnership and sponsorship opportunities; these contracts may require development of unique specifications and/or the integration of many diverse strategic financial, contractual, and risk management elements;
- Establish and maintain metrics for tracking departmental performance and effect improvements where indicated.
10% Committee Participation
- Provides leadership to the University Budget Committee, University Fiscal Officers Committee, and the Student Fee Advisory Committee; Participates in the System wide Financial Officers Association (FOA), assisting both FOA and the Office of the Chancellor in development of financial policies and procedures, best practices, and financial audit compliance standards
- Serves as the liaison with Information Technology in the implementation of technology initiatives and system upgrades that impact the university's ledger and PeopleSoft financial accounting system
- Represents the campus to industry associations or special interest groups that seek to impact reporting requirements or regulatory changes
5% Other duties as assigned by the Vice President of Administration and Finance.
How to Apply:
Please apply through Another Source Agency.
California State University, Dominguez Hills, is strongly committed to achieving excellence through a diverse workforce.
California State University Dominguez Hills is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, or protected veteran status. For more information or definition of these terms, please visit:
Individuals with disabilities requesting accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) may call the Human Resources Office at (310) 243-3771.
Clery Act crime statistics for CSUDH are available at https://www.csudh.edu/dhpd/clery/crime-stats/ , or by calling University Police at (310) 243-3639. Upon appointment, all candidates must furnish proof of eligibility to work in the U.S.
The California State University is Smoke and Tobacco Free. Smoking, Vaping and other Tobacco use are Not Permitted anywhere on University property. Education Code 42356, CCR Title 5, Article 9
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled