Director of Accounting and Financial Reporting – Department of Finance
About Our Job
Employment Requirement: City employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. All persons offered a position will be required to provide valid proof of vaccination prior to starting employment. Refer to the COVID-19 Employee Vaccination Mandate Candidate Q&A for additional information.
About the Department of Finance
The Department of Finance manages the city's investing, fiscal analysis, budgeting, debt and asset management, tax assessment and collection, and accounting functions as well as establishing, maintaining and enforcing fiscal policies, practices and procedures for the entire City and County of Denver. The Department commits to Denver residents the delivery of these services through a financial structure that mirrors the best practices of both the public and private sectors. This commitment promotes better service, enhanced performance measures, maximum accountability and improved business processes.
About the Controller's Office
The Office of the Controller keeps the City's ledgers and books, manages payroll and accounts payable; establishes and enforces Citywide financial policies, procedures and internal controls; produces the financial reports including the annually audited financial statements of the City; and works with agencies to improve financial skills. The Controller's Office is a dynamic environment that seeks innovative ideas that promote effective, efficient, and accountable government while maintaining the highest level of integrity.
Diversity in the City
The City and County of Denver is committed to cultivating a culture of equity, diversity, and inclusion. This commitment is woven into our values and belief that we are strongest when we embrace and celebrate our differences. We aim to have employees who are as diverse as our residents, with different perspectives and unique ways of thinking. If you share these values and our enthusiasm for equity, we encourage you to apply to join our team.
The Department of Finance is seeking a motivated, innovative, and values-driven leader to serve as the Director of Accounting and Financial Reporting. The Controller's Office Accounting and Financial Reporting team manages the city's central accounting functions and financial management system, prepares the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report, develops Fiscal Accountability Rules, and communicates with and supports City Departments on accounting issues.
Our team values innovative individuals with a strong commitment toward public service. We are looking for candidates who possess government accounting experience, proven leadership skills, a strategic outlook, and a dedication to providing excellent customer service.
In this role as the Director of Accounting and Financial reporting, you will be challenged to oversee the City's general ledger accounting team, as well as the Financial Reporting team that produces the City's Comprehensive Annual Financial Report. The Director of Accounting and Financial Reporting also oversees a four-person technology team that supports the City's financial systems.
Additionally, as the Director of Accounting and Financial Reporting, you can expect to:
- Plan, organize and coordinate the year-end close process with City departments and external auditors.
- Oversee the preparation of the City Comprehensive Annual Financial Report.
- Ensure the timely adoption of GASB pronouncements.
- Direct the continuous improvement of the City's Workday financial system.
- Oversee the City's internal control framework.
- Contribute to the development and execution of the Controller's Office strategic priorities as a member of the Controller's Office leadership team.
- Hiring, training, and retaining a high performing staff of accountants.
- Support and encourage the gathering and reporting of performance data to manage productivity and balance resources.
- Ensure accounting processes are in alignment with applicable charter, code, ordinance, fiscal rule requirements, and accounting best practices.
- Make certain that financial reporting and accounting processes are efficient with the use of enterprise systems and other technology
- Encourage an environment that fosters innovation and continuous improvement.
We are looking for someone with some or all the following skills and experience:
- CPA Preferred
- State or local government accounting and finance experience.
- Experience leading teams of accounting professionals.
- Experience working in complex enterprise financial systems.
- Experience with establishing and implementing accounting policies or fiscal rules
- Experience implementing GASB pronouncements
- Experience with financial reporting
We realize your time is valuable so please do not apply if you do not have at least the following required minimum qualifications:
- Education requirement: Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration or a related field based on a specific position(s).
- Experience Requirement: Five (5) years of experience managing a financial functional or financial operational work group, business unit or area and supervising lower-level supervisors, managers, or professional-level staff in disciplines including accounting, budget, assessment, treasury, cash management, debt, investments, real estate, internal control and compliance, risk management, or a related discipline.
- Education/Experience Equivalency: Two (2) years of the appropriate type and level of experience may be substituted for each required year of post-high school education.
- Additional appropriate education may be substituted for the minimum experience requirements.
About Everything Else
CV2793 Financial Director
To view the full job profile including position specifications, physical demands, and probationary period, click here.
Position Salary Range
$103,050.00 - $175,185.00
$120,000.00 - $140,000.00/year, based on education and experience
Department of Finance
The City and County of Denver provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, or any other status protected under federal, state, and/or local law.