Director of Enterprise Finance and Information Services
Collaboration and communication are critical skills required for this role. Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to relate well to a wide range people are also critical. Leading an internal services function, the Director provides staff with clear line of sight from internal services to the ultimate outcomes of the organization. With internal business partners, the Director must focus on responsive effective support for their service strategies and priorities, as well as build understanding and support for enterprise-wide standards and priorities. The Director must balance the needs of internal partners with available resources and enterprise-wide needs. Additionally, the role requires a strategic perspective that supports alignment of tactics to goals and strategy as well the ability to set clear expectations and measure of performance and accountability-all amidst an evolving business and policy environment.
- Finance, Information Technology (IT), Risk Management, Office of Performance and Analysis (OPA), Deputy Director
The division is responsible for these functions across the county:
- Financial operations and reporting (AP, AR, Purchasing, Treasury, Payroll, Audit and Financial Compliance)
- IT strategic direction, network, applications, security (including management of the IT security risk register), end-user support; telecommunications and broadband partnerships
- Conducting and supporting performance measurement, process improvement, and program evaluation activities
- Enterprise risk management, general liability and workers' compensation, emergency preparedness and response
- Data policy and practices
The director holds lead responsibility for:
- Leading development and implementation of Countywide strategies and policies for IT, financial operations, data security, risk management and emergency preparedness and response
- Convening and ensuring productive dialogue and relationships with internal customers on:
- IT systems and tools' performance, support and investment priorities
- Shared countywide business practices, tools, and policies
- Emergency preparedness and planning
- Setting strategic direction for the Division, assessing resource needs, and allocating them appropriately
- Leading county-wide emergency response and management when necessary
- Representing the county (at a staff level) to the DCC (911 call center) and DBB (broadband partnership with cities)
- Telecommunications/broadband policy and deployment/partnerships
- Overall countywide American Rescue Plan (ARP) compliance and reporting
The director will be a member of the countywide Senior Leadership Team, providing advice and counsel to the County Manager and leading the implementation of county policies and service priorities within the division and via the services it manages and provides across the county.
General Responsibilities of a Director include:
- Leads staff by integrating the various functional areas and developing external and internal partnerships to efficiently and effectively provide programs and services.
- This position provides administrative coordination, leadership and management oversight of the Division.
- Develops long-and short-range strategic and workforce plans to ensure that intended outcomes are consistent with the overall goals of Dakota County.
- Allocates human and fiscal resources to assure that goals and objectives are attained in a cost-effective manner.
- Hires senior divisional employees. Directs senior divisional personnel to include planning and prioritization of work assignments, review of work performed, evaluation of performance, selection, training and disciplinary activities.
- Assesses County needs and develops a plan and implementation strategy for the delivery of new programs and services to address these needs.
- Ensures the review, development, communication and implementation of countywide administrative policies and procedures
- Directs, monitors and evaluates the performance of department directors against stated goals and objectives. . Evaluates program performance and recommends/takes corrective action where necessary.
- Designs, plans, directs, and implements countywide special initiatives and projects as required.
- Presents programmatic issues, recommendations, initiatives, and legislative proposals to the County Manager and County Board.
- Monitors and evaluates department budgets, expenditures and revenues. Holds departments accountable for budget activities.
- Directs, plans, and conducts research and creates policy recommendations to the County Manager based on research.
- Collaborates with other senior management on complex issues and in response to citizen inquires, requests, or complaints.
- Other duties as assigned.