Finance Manager (20003409)
311 Vernon Street Roseville, 95678
FINAL FILING DATE: We are accepting applications until closing at 5:00 pm, May 20, 2020
IT IS MANDATORY THAT YOU COMPLETE THE SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONNAIRE. YOUR APPLICATION WILL BE REJECTED IF YOU DO NOT PROVIDE ALL NECESSARY INFORMATION.
The Human Resources Department is establishing a list for the position of Finance Manager in the Finance Department. This list may be utilized to fill future regular, full-time, limited-term, and/or temporary, part-time vacancies The normal work schedule is Monday through Friday, 8:00 -5:00 pm; a flex schedule may be available.
The City of Roseville promotes a no smoking atmosphere.
The City of Roseville (COR) incorporates the following Core Competencies as part of the City's culture:
- Focus on people: Develop and deliver service-oriented solutions that meet or exceed expectations.
- Build trust: Ensure honesty and integrity to gain confidence and support of others.
- Ensure accountability: Take responsibility for the outcomes of one's own work and foster a sense of ownership in others.
- Communicate effectively: Deliver clear, concise messages and actively listen to ideas and questions.
- Collaborate inclusively: Build effective working partnerships, alliances, and teams.
- Make quality decisions: Make sound, timely decisions and recommendations.
Be adaptable/agile: Change approach or methods to best fit the situation and effectively balance competing priorities.
To plan, organize, direct and coordinate the activities of the Disbursements Division within the Finance Department including accounts payable, and payroll functions; to administer, organize, plan, and direct City-wide budget activities related to salaries, benefits, self-insurance funds and retiree medical benefits; and to provide highly complex staff assistance to the Assistant Finance Director and Assistant City Manager/Chief Financial Officer.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
- Receives general direction from the Assistant Finance Director.
- Exercises direct supervision over assigned technical and support staff.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES - Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Develop and implement divisional goals, objectives, policies and procedures.
- Plan, organize and direct disbursement activities including accounts payable and payroll activities.
- Direct, oversee and participate in the development of the Disbursements Division work plan; assign work activities, projects and programs; monitor workflow; review and evaluate work products, methods and procedures.
- Prepare the Disbursements Division budget; administer approved budget; assist in budget implementation; participate in the forecast of additional funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials, supplies, and services for the department and City.
- Recommend the appointment of personnel; provide or coordinate staff training; conduct performance evaluations; implement discipline procedures as required; maintain discipline and high standards necessary for the efficient and professional operation of the department.
- Oversee and manage the development of financial plans and policies for City-wide salaries and benefits; calculate, project and enter City-wide budget related to salaries, benefits and insurance; coordinate salary and benefit budget matters with City departments.
- Oversee and review payroll processing activities including related benefits/retirement deductions or payments and required reporting; oversee accounts payable activities for the City and review reports to ensure compliance with established accounting procedures.
- Gather and prepare data for annual financial audit and intermittent audits related to salary and benefits.
- Research and oversee implementation of technological changes/improvements in processing and reporting methods; assist in the development and review of related requests for proposals; write and enter updates and/or changes to timekeeping software.
- Participate in labor negotiations; provide suggestions for MOU language related to payroll and benefits administration; research and prepare reports in preparation for labor negotiations.
- Research and prepare technical and administrative reports and council communications; prepare written correspondence.
- Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, other City employees and the public using principles of good customer service.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Knowledge of :
- Principles and practices of financial processing and reporting operations including payroll and accounts payable.
- Uses and applications of finance/accounting management software.
- Principles and practices of leadership, motivation, team building and conflict resolution.
- Pertinent local, State and Federal rules, regulations and laws.
- Principles of budget monitoring.
- Modern office procedures and computer equipment.
- Principles and practices of organizational analysis and management.
- Principles and practices of supervision, training and personnel management.
Ability to :
- Organize and implement Disbursement Division activities related to payroll and accounts payable.
- On a continuous basis, analyze budget and technical reports; interpret and evaluate staff reports; know laws, regulations , codes and covenants; observe performance and evaluate staff; problem-solve department related issues; follow various rules and procedures; and explain and interpret policy.
- On a continuous basis, sit at desk and in meetings for long periods of time. Intermittently twist to reach equipment surrounding desk; perform simple grasping and fine manipulation; use telephone, and write or use keyboard to communicate through written means; and lift or carry weight of 10 pounds or less.
- Ensure accuracy of and conformance to accepted and legal reporting standards.
- Perform the most complex work of the department.
- Analyze problems, identify alternative solutions, project consequences of proposed actions and implement recommendations in support of goals.
- Gain cooperation through discussion and persuasion.
- Interpret and apply City and department policies, procedures, rules and regulations.
- Prepare and administer a budget.
- Supervise, train and evaluate personnel.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING
Five years of increasingly responsible experience in operational finance activities involving payroll and accounts payable, including two years of supervisory responsibility.
A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university, preferably with major course work in finance, accounting, public administration, business administration, or a related field.
License or Certificate :
Possession of a valid California driver's license by date of appointment.
1. Your responses to questions 2-4, the applicant's education, training and experience, will be scored using a pre-determined formula. Your responses to these questions must be consistent with your employment application information. This experience must also be described in the "Work Experience" section of this application. Responses to the supplemental questionnaire that are inconsistent from your "Work Experience" section in the application will not be scored. I understand and agree with the above instructions.
2. Was any of the work experience listed on your application an unpaid internship, or volunteer work? If so, please list below which ones.
3. How many years do you of government experience working in finance?
- Less than 1 year
- 1-5 Years
- 5+ Years
4. How many years of supervisory experience do you have?
- Less than 2 years
- 2-5 Years
- 5+ Years
5. Please describe your supervision and management experience in general. Please include how many employees you have supervised and for how long at each employer, and how your current/former employees would describe your management style.
6. This position manages the City's payroll and accounts payable function. Please describe your experience working in, supervising, or managing a payroll and/or an accounts payable function. Please include any specific experience you have working for a government agency (if any) and what system(s) you used.
7. Please briefly describe your experience in data analysis, labor costing, software implementation/configuration, and/or special projects in payroll and/or accounts payable functions.
All candidates meeting the minimum qualifications will have their application scored in a Formula Rate Examination. The applicant's experience and education will be evaluated using a pre-determined formula. Scores from this evaluation will determine applicant ranking and placement on the Employment List. Supplemental questions will be utilized by the department hiring authority to make interview and selection determinations. Final appointment is contingent upon a check of past employment references, passing a City-paid fingerprint check and depending on position applied for a pre-employment medical exam and a drug and alcohol screening test.
THE CITY OF ROSEVILLE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. IF YOU REQUIRE AN ACCOMMODATION DUE TO A DISABILITY, PLEASE CONTACT THE HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT AT LEAST 5 WORKING DAYS BEFORE A SCHEDULED INTERVIEW/EXAMINATION PROCESS. MEDICAL DISABILITY VERIFICATION MAY BE REQUIRED PRIOR TO ACCOMMODATION.
Job Announcement URL:
For more information regarding the City's benefits, visit our website at here. This position is in Management.
The following options apply to the evaluation of college degrees from countries outside the United States:
- Educational background from a foreign country may be evaluated by an accredited United States college or university listed on the U.S. Department of Education Database of Accredited Post-Secondary Institutions and Programs website.
- Verification of degree equivalency may be obtained from organizations that provide foreign education credential evaluation services. The City of Roseville will accept verification from any of listed member agencies found at www.naces.org
- A copy of the foreign credential evaluation verification must be attached to the employment application.
- Applicants who do not provide this verification will be eliminated from further consideration.