At Scottsdale Water, we pride ourselves on delivering superior quality water and service to the Scottsdale community. Our employees ensure a safe, sustainable drinking water system, operate an innovative water reclamation system and help Scottsdale Water consistently maintain its position as one of the nation's most advanced and efficient water utilities.
We value our employees and challenge them to constantly improve how we do business. Our team is made up of professionals from all disciplines - engineering, finance, operations, laboratory science, chemistry, public relations, hydrology, customer service, electrical, maintenance and so much more.
About The Position
Under the general direction of the Water Resources Executive Director, this position coordinates the development of the Water Department's operating budget, capital improvement program, grants and contractual funds. Performs advanced professional level duties for budgetary, financial and contract management activities as well as directing or participating in gathering information, making statistical analysis and studying and resolving special administrative problems.
The City of Scottsdale offers a comprehensive benefits package including:
- 12 Paid Holidays, which includes 1 Floating Holiday
- Vacation Accrual; starts at 10.3 hours/month
- Sick Leave Accrual; 8 hours/month
- Medical (which includes behavioral health coverage), Dental and Vision Benefits
- City Paid Basic Life Insurance (equal to one times employee annual salary); option of Supplemental Life Insurance
- Tuition Reimbursement; $2,500/year
- Participation in the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS) Defined benefit plan with mandatory employer and employee contributions currently at 12.29% which includes a Long-Term Disability benefit
- Supplemental 457 Retirement Plans through Nationwide
- Pet Insurance
- Bilingual pay compensation
- For a more detailed overview of the employee benefits, click here .
Please Note: Based on the needs of the City, this position has been reposted; it closes Monday, November 20, 2023. If you have already applied, you do not need to resubmit an application to be considered.
The application and supplemental questions are an integral part of the selection process and must be completed in full in order for you to be considered as a candidate. Please complete each section and answer all questions as thoroughly as possible. DO NOT state "See Resume" in lieu of answering. Unanswered questions, incomplete responses, omissions, or partial information may result in disqualification from the selection process.
Applicants whose education, training and experience most closely meet the needs of the position may be invited to participate in a selection process that may include a panel interview. Successful candidates will receive a post-offer, pre-employment background screening that may include:
- Fingerprinting search of the national FBI Database
- Criminal Background screening
Click here to be directed to the Scottsdale Water Careers webpage.
Click here to review the entire job description.
The City of Scottsdale reserves the right to change this process at any time, potentially without advance notice.
PLEASE NOTE: Years of experience are based on a work schedule of 2,080 hours per year for full-time positions and 1,040 hours per year for part-time positions, and while work experience may substitute for education on a year-for-year basis, depending upon the job classification, education may not be substituted for work experience.
Education and Experience:
- A Bachelor's degree in Economics, Finance, Public or Business Administration, Accounting or other business-related fields from an accredited educational institution.
- Five years of professional-level experience with financial analysis, budget preparation, and financial administration.
- Must have at least one year of Lead or Supervisory experience.
- Any equivalent combination of education and/orjob-related experience that meets the minimum qualifications may be substituted.
Licensing, Certifications and Other Requirements:
- Every person employed by the City of Scottsdale shall reside in the State of Arizona during his or her active employment by the City, regardless of whether the employee is approved to remote work.
Other pertinent licenses and/or certifications may be required of some positions depending on division/department/service assignment.
- Plans and oversees several of the operations, staff, and activities of the City's water and sewer finance functions which may include financial planning, budget preparation and monitoring, rate development, contract administration, financial reporting and fixed assets.
- Supervises employees and coordinates personnel-related activities to include, but not limited to: training, approving work schedules, recommending/approving personnel actions, coaching and counseling, establishing performance goals, and writing performance evaluations. Establishes work priorities and assignments; sets performance goals and objectives; monitors and evaluates finance operations; and implements changes to improve efficiency and accuracy.
- Reviews state and federal legislative bills affecting the City's utility finances and advises management and the City's legislative representatives about the impacts and alternatives associated with those bills. Reviews financial activities, transactions, and reconciliations; ensures accuracy and compliance with state, federal and local regulations and with generally accepted accounting principles.
- Provides guidance and assistance in the resolution of difficult financial issues; interprets and resolves problems identified by staff, auditors or other departments; and researches and analyzes information and financial reports, summaries, statistical data, economic impacts, findings and recommendations.
- Prepares or assists in the preparation of cost of service models, financial forecasts, economic impact and trend analysis for various activities.
- Participates in the preparation of the water and sewer multi-year financial plans and the city's enterprise fund financial models for both operating and capital improvement plans.
- Prepares utility rate structure proposals ensuring cost recovery or desired intent and compliance with state and municipal ordinances.
- Acts in capacity of contract administrator for such contracts as rate, fee and modeling studies and other utility finance related activities.
Work Environment/Physical Demands
- Lift and carry materials weighing up to 30 pounds.
- Travel to/from meetings and various City locations.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: It is the policy of the city to provide employment opportunities to all persons based solely on ability, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability.
When advised, reasonable accommodations will be made in order for an "otherwise qualified applicant" with a disability to participate in any phase of the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resources to request an accommodation. Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491. Requests should be made 24 hours in advance or as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. For TTY users, the Arizona Relay Service (1-800-367-8939) may contact HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491.
This position description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the position change.
Closing Date/Time: 11/20/2023 11:59 PM Arizona