Finance Professional 3 – Grants
The UMN has suspended hiring for most positions. However, we will continue hiring for positions critical to the University's mission and operations at this time. Applications are being accepted for this position and you are encouraged to apply. In-person interviews are suspended indefinitely and will be replaced by interviews in a virtual format. Thank you for your continued interest in working at the University of Minnesota.
About the Job
Special Notice for COVID-19 Hiring
The University of Minnesota has suspended hiring for most positions. However, we will continue hiring for positions critical to the University's mission and operations. Applications are being accepted for this position, and you are encouraged to apply. In-person interviews are suspended indefinitely and will be replaced by interviews in a virtual format. Thank you for your continued interest in working at the University of Minnesota.
This position works within the Plant Sciences Division in the College of Food, Agricultural and Natural Resource Sciences (CFANS) Office of Finance and Budget in support of assigned academic, administrative, and programmatic units. This position works independently with little oversight and is responsible for performing complex professional accounting requiring the application of general accounting principles and University policies. Responsibilities include developing sponsored project budgets; preparation of grant proposal administrative and budget related submission documents; interpreting grant and contract regulations; resolving complex pre-award and post-award grant issues; preparing financial reports for internal and external audiences; researching the source and cause of discrepancies in accounting systems; and maintain integrity and compliance in all aspects of job responsibilities
Major Areas of Accountability:
Pre-award Grants Management 80%
• Assist faculty and eligible staff with budget development for various types of proposals ensuring adherence to sponsor and University research policies and procedures.
• Prepare appropriate sponsored administrative and budget documents as required for submission (i.e., grants.gov packages; fastlane, other sponsor forms, EFS-friendly budgets.)
• Act as liaison to other organizations to develop and obtain sub-award proposals.
• Prepare proposal routing forms ensuring that all appropriate signers are included.
• Track the proposal process and respond to SPA and others as needed. Assist with preparation of revised budgets, and other documents, if requested by the agency.
• Work with PI to provide information required for sub-award issuance or requesting pre-award accounts.
• Setup cost-sharing relationships per sponsor guidelines.
Post-award Grants Management 15%
• Interpret sponsors policies and university policies and procedures to assure compliance with the award terms and conditions.
• Provide proactive oversight to post-award staff to include review of financial reports, provide policy and procedure interpretations, analyze for spending deficits, and coordinate closeouts.
Financial Management 5%
• Analyze fiscal problems and work with appropriate personnel to implement corrective action needed.
• Continue professional development through attendance of courses, workshops, seminars, and other meetings.
• Demonstrate ethical behavior in the conduct of all position responsibilities.
Bachelor's Degree in accounting and four years of professional accounting experience and/or an equivalent combination of education and experience totaling 8 years. Additional relevant work experience may be substituted for the degree.
Strong written and oral communication skills.
Experience in proposal preparation and managing sponsored accounts.
Experience with Excel, Word, Web browsers, grant proposal routing systems, and enterprise financial system.
Experience in spreadsheet development.
Able to work independently and as part of a finance team.
Academic environment experience.
Experience with grants.gov, Workspace, Fastlane, and other agency proposal submission portals.
Able to identify many variables with many options and explain various outcomes of each situation.
Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks.
Ability to provide excellent customer service while maintaining compliance with University and federal policies and procedures.
How To Apply
Applications must be submitted online. To be considered for this position, please click the Apply button and follow the instructions. You will be given the opportunity to complete an online application for the position and attach a cover letter and resume.
Additional documents may be attached after application by accessing your "My Job Applications" page and uploading documents in the "My Cover Letters and Attachments" section.
To request an accommodation during the application process, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call (612) 624-UOHR (8647).
The University recognizes and values the importance of diversity and inclusion in enriching the employment experience of its employees and in supporting the academic mission. The University is committed to attracting and retaining employees with varying identities and backgrounds.
The University of Minnesota provides equal access to and opportunity in its programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, disability, public assistance status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression. To learn more about diversity at the U: http://diversity.umn.edu.
Background Check Information
Any offer of employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check. Our presumption is that prospective employees are eligible to work here. Criminal convictions do not automatically disqualify finalists from employment.
About the U of M
The University of Minnesota, Twin Cities (UMTC)
The University of Minnesota, Twin Cities (UMTC), is among the largest public research universities in the country, offering undergraduate, graduate, and professional students a multitude of opportunities for study and research. Located at the heart of one of the nation's most vibrant, diverse metropolitan communities, students on the campuses in Minneapolis and St. Paul benefit from extensive partnerships with world-renowned health centers, international corporations, government agencies, and arts, nonprofit, and public service organizations.