Internal Auditor (Administrator II) / Administration & Finance (504699)
California State University, San Bernardino is a preeminent center of intellectual and cultural activity in Inland Southern California. Opened in 1965 and set at the foothills of the beautiful San Bernardino Mountains, the university serves more than 20,000 students each year and graduates about 4,000 students annually. CSUSB reflects the dynamic diversity of the region and has the most diverse student population of any university in the Inland Empire. Seventy percent of those who graduate are the first in their families to do so.
At CSUSB, you can:
• Build your future
• Work with the best
• Be your authentic self
• Focus on you
• Make a lasting impact
• Work for a purpose that is greater than your own
• Bring everything you are, become everything you want
The mission of the University Internal Auditor (IA) is to assist California State University, San Bernardino (CSUSB) and its auxiliaries to effectively carry out their responsibilities to establish an appropriate control environment and make decisions concerning University resources, both financial and non-financial. By performing audits in accordance with internal auditing professional standards, the IA provides University leadership with objective and independent information about university activities, the effectiveness of procedures, and the adequacy of internal controls. The IA acts as a consultant when new systems or procedures are introduced to ensure appropriate controls are incorporated. The IA serves as the University's primary liaison with the California State University Office of the Chancellor's Audit and Advisory Services, as well as other external audits of CSUSB.
Required Application Materials
All applicants must submit 1). Letter of interest or cover letter, 2). Current resume or curriculum vitae, 3). Three professional references who can provide assessments of your professional experience, accomplishments, and prospects for success in this position, and 4). Diversity Statement - may include your interpretation of diversity, inclusion, gender equity and must include specific examples of how your educational and/or professional experiences, background/philosophy has prepared you for this role at California State University, San Bernardino (maximum 250 words).
Under the general direction of the Vice President for Administration and Finance, the Director, Internal Auditor supports the campus by conducting reviews of assigned organizational and functional activities; evaluating the adequacy and effectiveness of the management controls over those activities; and determining whether organizational units in the University are performing their planning, accounting, custodial, or control activities in compliance with management instructions, applicable statements of policy and procedures, and in a manner consistent with both university objectives and high standards of administrative practice.
The primary responsibilities for the Internal Auditor are, but are not limited to:
- Directs and manages CSUSB response to formal campus audits and reviews led by the Chancellor's Office.
- Assists campus Departments or Divisions with their CO audits and audit responses.
- Conducts audits or reviews of operational and financial activities for CSUSB.
- Collaborates with CO staff to develop audit work plans for CO Advisory Audits, and to plan Advisory Services engagements at CSUSB.
- Performs or completes CSUSB audit risk assessments, by Division and by Auxiliary, for the CO.
- Assists campus Departments and Divisions with external audits they must respond to from entities other than the CO.
- Makes recommendations to establish new or change existing policies and procedures to strengthen internal controls, implement best practices, and manage resources more effectively.
- Provides research, analysis, and advice on administrative, financial, tax, and regulatory issues.
- Directs and manages internal advisory services and educates the campus on risk, internal controls, and fraud prevention.
- Annually develops or revises the campus Audit Universe, campus Audit Risk Assessment, campus Audit Plan, and a set of annual Goals and Objectives for the position.
- Performs NCAA Agreed-Upon Procedures engagements for other campuses (CSULA and Cal Poly Pomona).
Employment Status: Full-time, At-Will, 'Exempt' position, included in the Management Personnel Plan (MPP).
Talent Acquisition: This position will remain open until filled. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis.
Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, weekends and evenings may be required.
- Applicants must demonstrate the ability to independently perform all phases of internal auditing and possess knowledge of the theories and principles of internal auditing, internal control, internal audit standards, and general administration and management controls.
- Applicants must demonstrate the ability to use personal computer applications, particularly spreadsheets and word processing.
- Very strong interpersonal communication and writing skills along with the ability to interact with all levels of the organization and to work effectively within a culturally diverse campus community are required.
- It is preferred that applicants have relevant work experience in a higher education environment with sufficient scope and complexity to conclusively demonstrate the ability to handle the requirements of the position.
Education and Experience
- The incumbent must possess a B.A. or B.S. degree from an accredited four-year college or university in Accounting, Business Administration, or a closely related area and a minimum of seven years of related practical audit experience.
- Certification in one or more areas is required to hold this position. Applicable certifications include: Certified Internal Auditor (CIA), Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE), or Certified Government Auditing Professional (CGAP). A master's degree is not a substitute for certification.
- A master's degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Finance, or other closely related disciplines is preferred.
- A minimum of five years of progressively responsible, hands-on audit work in a higher-education environment, or a County, State, or Federal Audit Agency.
Anticipated Hiring Range: $10,000 - $11,000 per month
Classification Salary Range: $4,583 - $13,750 per month
Statement of Commitment to Diversity
In our commitment to the furthering of knowledge and fulfilling our educational mission, California State University, San Bernardino seeks a campus climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the entire variety of human experience. In our commitment to diversity, we welcome people from all backgrounds, and we seek to include knowledge and values from many cultures in the curriculum and extra-curricular life of the campus community. Our commitment to work toward an environment that values diversity requires that we create, promote, and maintain activities and programs that further our understanding of individual and group diversity. We will also develop and communicate policies and promote values that discourage intolerance and discrimination.
The concept and dimensions of diversity are to be advanced and incorporated into every aspect of university activity, including student life, the curriculum, teaching, programs, staffing, personnel training practices, research, community services, events, and all other areas of university endeavor.
Dimensions of diversity shall include but are not limited to, the following: race, ethnicity, religious belief, sexual orientation, sex, gender identity, gender expression, ability, socioeconomic status, cultural orientation, national origin, and age.
The implementation of the Commitment to Diversity will rest with the university as a whole. The president, in addition to a personal commitment and involvement, may use the University Diversity Committee, campus administrators, faculty, staff, and students as well as other members of the campus community to implement effectively the philosophy and intent of this statement.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or the continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
The person holding this position is considered a `mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements outlined in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
California State University, San Bernardino is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, or protected veteran status.
This position may be "Designated" under California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. This would require the filing of a Statement of Economic Interest on an annual basis and the completion of training within 6 months of assuming office and every 2 years thereafter. Visit the Human Resources Conflict of Interest webpage link for additional information: http://hrd.csusb.edu/conflictInterest.html
This position adheres to CSU policies against Sex Discrimination, Sexual Harassment, and Sexual Violence, including Domestic Violence, Dating Violence, and Stalking. This requires completion of Sexual Violence Prevention Training within 6 months of assuming employment and on a two-year basis thereafter. (Executive Order 1096)
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled