Payroll Associate – Department of Finance
About Our Job
Please apply as soon as you are able as we will close this position as soon as we receive a sufficient number of qualified candidates.
The Department of Finance Payroll Division is looking for a Payroll Associate to perform Citywide payroll. The Payroll Division works closely with employees, supervisors/managers and other City Agencies to ensure the accuracy and timeliness of employee's pay. This office processes payroll for 14,000+ employees while maintaining confidentiality of employee records always. The Citywide Payroll Division is a fast-paced environment that requires employees to be honest, respectful and possess high integrity.
As a Payroll Associate, you will:
- Prepare, process, and audit employee time reports (both time sheets and e-time data) in accordance with internal payroll rules and federal, state, and local regulations.
- Post pay, tax, and benefit changes (i.e. deferred compensation, W-4, and direct deposit requests) to payroll system.
- Balance and reconcile employee time reporting and payroll accounting records with a variety of agency, city, and other processing requirements.
- Consult with employees and/or supervisors to explain and interpret payroll rules, regulations, policies, procedures.
- Assist supervisors and/or managers by reports detailing labor-related data (i.e. time off and overtime use). In addition, assist with time used reports for Vacation, Sick, PTO, LWOP, etc.
- Process leave requests in accordance with internal payroll rules and federal, state, and local regulations.
- Troubleshoot and resolve payroll problems, which may include analyzing problems with time and attendance data and making corrections.
- Research variances in the application of payroll policies and procedures and corrects any errors and/or oversights.
- Research, compile, and analyze statistical reports, audits, and other data; formulate reports and/or record both manually and utilizing computer programs as assigned.
- Audit employee's pay, benefits, deductions and leave accruals upon separation.
- As needed, prepare spread sheets for payroll, tax calculations and benefit deductions.
- Audit data entry to e-data systems to ensure accuracy and completeness.
Our Ideal Candidate has:
- 2-3 years processing a large volume payroll.
- FPC or CPP certification.
- Basic knowledge of Excel functionality, creating spread sheets/pivot tables.
- Possess the ability to independently solve complex payroll problems through analytical thought process with little direction.
We recognize your time is valuable, so please do not apply if you do not have at least the following required minimum qualifications:
- Education: Graduation from high school or the possession of a GED, HiSET or TASC Certificate.
- Experience: Three (3) years of clerical/technical experience performing a variety of payroll processing activities.
- Education/Experience Equivalency: Additional appropriate education may be substituted for the minimum experience requirements.
About Everything Else
CV2367 Payroll Associate
To view the full job profile including position specifications, physical demands, and probationary period, click here.
Position Salary Range
$22.07 - $32.22
Based on education and experience
Department of Finance
The City and County of Denver provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, or any other status protected under federal, state, and/or local law.